View Single Post
Old July 10, 2013, 01:36 AM   #7
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

big al hunter,

You are correct in what has been done. The problem would be in obtaining a new cocking piece (firing pin), that might still need to be fitted (Numrich doesn't have one). What I would advise, is to let a good gunsmith take it, that can tig weld the sear, and harden it, and the other option would be modify the cocking piece for the safety, and fit and match it. The latter would be try to find a new cocking piece, or tig up the surface of the cocking piece, fit it, and re-harden it. The safety rolls around into a notch to block it, and where it sits now is a little forward from original, so it would interfere with its operation. If you tig weld the sear piece, and fit and harden it, it would push the cocking piece back where it supposed to be, and the safety would work.

The last, install another Timney trigger and adjust it, as I take it the last owner removed it. This might actually be the cheaper route., if you can't locate a new firing pin/cocking piece.

I almost forgot to ask, is the a pre 64 model, or do you know which one?

The main thing is safety, and having someone who can keep it a 'positive' sear engagement, with the poundage you want, but make sure it is safe.

2013-07-10_034805 by matneyw, on Flickr

Winchester Model 70 Diagram by matneyw, on Flickr

Last edited by Dixie Gunsmithing; July 10, 2013 at 07:00 AM.

Page generated in 0.03156 seconds with 8 queries