View Single Post
Old May 6, 2013, 09:36 AM   #9
ScotchMan

I think how long to use carry ammo is a personal preference. Me, I always chamber the same round, and use it until it has exhibited setback. Then I fire it on the next trip to the range and add a new round to the magazine. I have only replaced two rounds in the two years I've been carrying.

If I get a new carry gun and need to run defensive ammo through it to test function, I will shoot the old ammo and replace with new ammo, cause why not?

I don't think that scratches on the bullets or cases is going to make the ammo perform any differently. There is so much to buy in the never-ending search for the perfect holster, more training, and practice ammo, that if I can save $30 on a box of 20 hollowpoints, I will.

If I had a low-cost, steady supply of ammo (like some people who are able to buy 50 round boxes of Gold Dots at good prices), I might swap my ammo every 6 months or so. But all the ammo I have is stuff I got lucky enough to find a box or two of here or there. And that includes well before the panic buying.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member

Page generated in 0.02372 seconds with 8 queries