View Single Post
Old February 3, 2006, 11:19 PM   #15
chupps

I think it is tough to find a dog that would perform well with pheasant, quail and duck. I've done all my hunting is kansas/missouri and I think that you need to separate the pheasant/quail dog from the duck dog. I grew up with a GSP and take issue with those who believe they are not good with kids. If a dog torments people I believe it is because people torment the dog. I do agree that all dogs need to be excersized, especially large breeds. Also it has been my experience that if you regularly give the dog an opportunity to hunt it can make up for the "backyard breeder" dog. I've hunted for 35 years and have never purchased a dog from "hunting stock". There are two key factors to hunting dog ownership; get the dog out in the field as often as possible; and show the dog love. Consider how many days the dog will be the family pet as opposed to how many days you will actually take the dog hunting. I've lived with a GSP, and English Setter, and currently have a Weimaraner. All have been great companions and decent hunters. Based on what little I know of your situation, I'd get an English Setter and watch duck hunting of TV.

Page generated in 0.03681 seconds with 8 queries