View Single Post
Old September 17, 2008, 03:07 PM   #9
Keltyke

I read the post. Frankly, it reads like a dime novel, and I'm not too sure how much of it to believe.

In SC, you may only fire if you are in fear of your life or of great bodily injury. You may not shoot to protect valuables or property. You may not draw or show your weapon to warn or intimidate. Brandishing may consist of willfully exposing your weapon and in itself may be considered "use of deadly force".

There's a fine line where a simple street robbery or mugging turns into "I might get killed". One SC Sheriff made a statement when he was elected. "This office will consider that, if someone breaks into your house, you may assume he is there to harm you, not to simply rob you." You can imagine the leeway that statement gives the homeowner to make a judgment call to protect his life AND property.

In a street mugging, may one reasonably assume they will be gravely injured or killed? That depends on the history of muggings in that area, and the demeanor of the BG(s). Every situation is different.

Our CWP instructor told us: "If someone comes at you with their fists, you must assume they can beat up Joe Fraizer. If someone comes at you with a knife, you must assume they are a skilled commando, including throwing it. If someone comes at you with a gun, you must assume they're Wyatt Earp." You can't take a chance on anything else. The penalty for being wrong is too great.

My signature/tag line sums it up well.

Shoot only if you must, but if you must, shoot well.

Page generated in 0.03171 seconds with 8 queries