View Single Post
Old May 20, 2000, 01:55 PM   #3
Glamdring

Birdshot for HD <sigh> to each their own I suppose.

I personally don't endorse or recomend birdshot for home defense period. If you can afford it I would recomend Federal Tactical 9 pellet OO buck to start with in a pump or double shotgun. Other wise if you go with buckshot in a 12 gauge stick with OO buck or No 4 buck in the begining. Because they are more common and that will simplify things.

If you do go with birdshot go for lead BB, No.2, or No.4. IMO.

One very good book on shotguns for HD is "The Tactical Shotgun" by Gabe Suarez the ISBN is 0-87364-898-6 and your local bookstore can order it for you. Mr. Suarez visits TFL from time to time I believe.
For shotguns the "tactical" loads are reduced power and thus reduced recoil. They are available in both buckshot and slug.
The tactical buckshot is also tweaked (buffered, hardened shot, etc) a bit to pattern tighter in most guns.

You will not be able to get tactical loads at wall marts and such. Fact is you may even have to order it, depending on your location.

You will need to pattern test you buck or bird shot loads to see how they perform out of your gun at different ranges.

Magnum loads in shotguns have more shot (ie heavier) at a lower velocity than a standard load. They will kick more. For home defense magnum rounds offer no real advantage.

Slugs are a single projectile like a rifle or pistol bullet only much bigger. A 12 gauge is ~ .729" which is real close to 3/4 of an inch. Typical 12 gauge slugs weight 1 oz (which is 437.5 grains). Those are the standard slugs. There are also sabot slugs designed for rifled shotgun barrels they use a .50" bullet in a plastic sleeve.

Feel free to email me or ask for clarification. Some people will disagree with my on the birdshot vs buckshot issue, but other than that I think I have stayed on the path of moderation

I prefer sights on my shotgun. I use the Federal tactical 9 pellet OO buck load in my shotgun. I have a 7 shot mag tube loaded with 5 rounds of the OO buck and a buttcuff on the stock with 5 slugs, and the chamber is kept empty. I use different brands for Slug and shot so that they are color coded. Red shells are buckshot and green are slugs.

Watch your 6!

------------------
There can be only one!

[This message has been edited by Glamdring (edited May 20, 2000).]

Page generated in 0.04252 seconds with 8 queries