Thread: 223 vs 5.56
View Single Post
Old February 12, 2014, 01:33 AM   #42
Metal god

The one thing that still confuses me is .

Are we talking about factory ammo or are we talking about ammo in general .

The reason I ask is . For those of us that reload . Pull out any of your manuals that have both 223 Rem bolt data and AR 5.56 data . Now compare apples to apple . Meaning check out the loads that use the same bullets and powders . What do you see as far as max loads for each of those chambering .

What I see in both my Hornady and Sierra books is the 223 is loaded to at least the same max powder charges and many times the 223 will allow a heavier charge then the 5.56 . This is something I have just noticed as of late because I started loading for both 223 Remington for a CZ and 5.56 for my AR .

It seems odd to me that you can put equal charges in a 223 and often can put a heavier charge in the 233 Rem then the 5.56 . Am I missing something here ? More powder means more pressure , Yes?

So back to my first point . Are we talking about factory ammo that is loaded to a different spec then what are books are giving us ?

OK I'm sure the books are on the low end when it comes to there max loads . How ever would that not be an across the board thing . Meaning if there 5.56 load data is on the low side . I would think the 223 load data would be on the low side as well giving them a wash and still showing that you can put a heavier charge in a 223 .

Truly

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; February 12, 2014 at 01:39 AM.

Page generated in 0.03380 seconds with 8 queries