View Single Post
Old August 18, 2013, 10:29 PM   #1
.300 Weatherby Mag

What isn't Remington telling me??

So I have a Remington 700 CDL .243 Winchester that I purchased new... It's been a complete disappointment in terms of both accuracy and functioning... The accuracy it produced was 6" five shot groups at 100 yards... Even after being floated and glass bedded and much load experimentation... I fought with Remington for over a year to rebarrel it and finally I won out and they put a new barrel on it.. After getting the rifle back, I shot a box of shells through it and then put it away for around a year.. Everything seemed fine and the accuracy was good..

I took it out recently and went find out what factory ammo I had laying around would shoot good in it... Everything was fine for a couple of rounds then I had the bolt stick closed upon firing... I was able to open the bolt but the lift was really stiff... Thinking I had a bad lot of ammo, I grabbed another brand and bullet weight of .243.. Only to fire four shots and then have the bolt stick really hard... Upon opening the bolt, the case was extracted from the chambered but it was not ejected when I fully retracted the bolt I then noticed the ejector was blown back into the bolt and lodged at an angle... At this point I stopped firing the gun... I had another .243 handy which ate both flavors of ammo which caused the problems in my gun...

Upon returning home I noticed that I had some primers that were cratered and other primers were backing out... Seems to me that I had something going on creating a lot of excess pressure... This led me to the thought that maybe the headspace was off.. Also the case heads were shiny and were leaving brass dust on the bolt face...

I then took the rifle, the fired cases and the factory ammo to my local Remington service center... They checked the headspace and it was fine.. The rifle was then sent back to Remington for repair... Remington examined the rifle, fired it and then replaced the bolt... I don't have any more detail than that... If the headspace is good, how could the bolt cause an overpressure situation??

Nobody wants to answer my question, so I'm hoping somebody has had a similar situation and can provide some light on the subject... I know the staff at the service center and I believe the fact that Remington is stonewalling them as well...

Page generated in 0.03770 seconds with 8 queries