View Single Post
Old September 25, 2012, 05:15 PM   #12
Mike / Tx

Quote:
Just got some lead given to me. WW, some plumbing lead and some ingots already poured.

How do I sort out the zinc WW.

Go have a look over at this link, Guide to Hand Sorting Wheel Weights It has plenty of info on sorting them out and what to expect when you do.

And the lead that is already melted, is there a way to make sure there is no zinc.

If you have some you suspect "MIGHT" be contaminated with zinc, here is an excellent post on testing for it,
2 Attachment(s) Zinc testing- with pictures

These came from a scrapper.

He also gave me a large ladle.
Keep your base alloys separated from the start and you will be ahead in the game. If for some reason you DO find something that is contaminated you can render it out before messing up a large batch.

Try and pick up a thermometer if you can. There is a great one sold by NOE Bullet Molds located here, Lead Pot Thermometer

While a ton of folks feel there is no need for one while casting, it will come in handy while blending alloys or when smelting up unknown lead as you can keep the temps down in the 650 degree range and this will pretty much not allow the zinc to melt. It in wheel weight form they will float to the top with the steel clips.

Hope this helps.

Page generated in 0.02270 seconds with 8 queries