View Single Post
Old November 30, 2009, 12:40 AM   #35
Farmland

For the first many years of hunting I can say that there were very few times I ever participated in a deer drive. Frankly it is not my style of hunting that I like. However each drive resulted in dead deer thus were successful. I can say that most camps started driving by mid morning on the first day.

Now that I no longer hunt the big woods of Northern Pa I have participated in deer drives many times. That is just the way people hunt where I live. I can tell you that when the hunting is slow every drive I have been in over the past 10 years has produced dead deer. In fact I have shot 9 out the 10 deer since 1998 off of drives. The other just happen to walk out of my corn field as I was walking to my spot.

I still do not like driving deer, I worry about the shooters at the end of the drive. We average 20 deer a year from drives and I have never seen a deer lost due to a poor shot from the group I hunt with. We have never had a close call for the poster or driver during a drive. However I will freely admit when I am on post I find a big tree and place it between the drivers and me. The good point though is that we usually set up at the end of the woods in key locations in the field. Since drivers seldom shoot at a deer most of the deer are shot as the hit the open field giving you a clear sight picture of any dangerous shots.

The strange part of my hunting works like this. When I hunted the big woods and shot at a running deer I never hit one. All flat misses and believe me with snow on the ground I would have known if I hit any of them. For some reason I have never ever missed a running deer in the open field. In fact they have all been one shot and drop.

Page generated in 0.02689 seconds with 8 queries