View Single Post
Old September 8, 2005, 09:20 AM   #33
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

An embarrassment of riches

Over the past several years, I've acquired a few nice rifles with which I've never taken game.

Following some extensive chest surgery, I got rid of my .338 WinMag Mauser. When I recuperated to the point where I didn't dread recoil, I got a decent deal on a Ruger 77 in .338. Something about the stock that transmits every joule of energy onto my (reconstructed) shoulder. It is FIERCE! I don't feel too bad about leaving that rifle in the safe, and I guess I should sell or swap it.

I spent a lot of time and energy putting together a Savage Scout .308 and working up loads. Both Elder Son and I have carried it hunting but it's never been blooded.

For my 60th b'day, Elder Son gave me a Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70. It now has a set of ghost ring rights and I've worked up a good load for it. It's been hunting a couple of times but due to a combination of circumstances, I've never taken game with it.

After many years without any Remington 700, I got two in one year, in .375 H&H and .35 Whelen. Both are beautiful and shoot very well. I missed a hog with the .35, but neither 700 has bagged anything - - yet.

I intend to take deer and/or hog with at least .45-70 and .35W during the upcoming season. I have still others which would work - - A No. 4 Mk. 1 SMLE, an older M1A, a pre-64 Model 94 in .30-30, an 1100 Remington with slug barrel - - but I'm not as eager to take these for game. Other than E.S., my family's not much help - - Younger Son, while he's taken a couple of whitetails, is not much of a hunter. My sweet daughter-in-law is a meat hunter, pure and simple. She's had good success using my .257 Roberts and cares nothing for experimentation.

Good luck to all y'all.
Johnny

Page generated in 0.02962 seconds with 8 queries