View Single Post
Old October 15, 2007, 09:34 AM   #1
Musketeer

Almost had a Trap Breakthrough...

As I have already posted I am just getting into trap. I shoot two rounds each weekend at a range 5 minutes from my home, time does not really allow more. I have been working hard to get foot position, posture and gun positioning down to an ingrained action and am doing all right.

A week ago there was a shooter on the line with me who took forever to get ready for his next shot. I found it frustrating and it started to put me off until I had a mini breakthrough. I said to myself "Who cares? What's the race?" As soon as I relaxed I started doing better. My thanks to the slow shooter who helped me put myself into the right frame of mind. For midset I have also tried very hard not to keep count of lost birds. All that matters is the one in front of me now, not the last and not the next.

I have been holding at 14 to 15 birds for a couple weeks. Typically I loose about 2 a station. This weekend I shot at a one of the fields that is not used too often for my second round; it was pretty busy that day so they openned it up. I stated in the second position. In second, third and forth position I nailed 4 birds each! As I said I try NOT to count the birds in my head but I knew I was on and at each change the puller called out the score. I thne hit the fifth position...

The box seemed small and I realized it was right at the edge of the pavement. The blacktop was also uneven in that position and sloped dramatically down at the side inside the box. I found myself completely unbalanced and as a result nothing lined up. Then I got myself flusterred with the aggravation of it... Position five yeilded four lost birds! That was aggravating but what happenned next was worse! I couls at least rationalize my horrible performance at five with the lousy conditions present. When I moved to one though to finish the game I was so flusterred with blowing my good game at five that I missed four more birds! ARRRGGGGG!!!!!

Guess I need to keep working at the mental game. Missing on fove was bad but understandable in my opinion. Missing on one was 100% my own fault and purely bad attitude! That is frustrating.

Oh well, there is always next weekend. I just have to keep my head in the game, don't sweat the little stuff, and... avoid field #7!

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

Page generated in 0.02482 seconds with 8 queries