View Single Post
Old January 19, 2006, 09:49 PM   #5
FirstFreedom

I've got that same rifle. $200 is a good deal for a pre-accu-trigger one, and a screamin deal for an accu-trigger rifle. You'll know if it has it - it's a very distinctive piece of silver aluminum that 'slices through' the middle of the trigger itself. It's adjustable, and very nice if adjusted right.

Yes, it's a pretty darn powerful rifle (it is indeed a 'magnum'). It's an extremely popular round. Recoil is quite stout, but not brutal. It is sufficient for any game in North America, IMO, except perhaps large brown bears or polar bears. It's really overkill for whitetails, mulies, & antelope, but it will definitely work, and a lot of people use it for that. It's just about perfect, with proper bullets, for elk, caribou, black bear, & wild boar. Use 175 gr premium ammo/bullets for the latter, and 150s or 160 for deer, maybe even lighter. Good round, overall, and with it's high velocity, you can get a good long point blank range workin. Personally, if I was gonna use it for deer (and I don't), I'd buy reload dies and load up some reduced loads for it. Good luck!

PS. Scope selection is a whole can of worms, but generallly speaking, since this rifle has a lot of recoil, a cheap brand or cheap line within a brand may very possibly break on you after a number of shots, so you're going to want to go with a decent line of scope. With scopes, you generall get what you pay for, so I'd look for a scope that runs $150-$250 minimum, new. So that you don't get a case or two of 'scope-eye', I recommend a 2-7 power scope, usually set on 2. This gives you enough eye relief to keep from getting smacked. Also, on the scope itself, getting one with a rubber ring around the ocular piece is preferable to one with just metal, on a big boomer like that. These days, almost all scopes have such a ring.

Page generated in 0.03415 seconds with 8 queries