View Single Post
Old November 23, 2010, 11:47 AM   #30
Fiv3

While education is crucial ( I know I'll be teaching my daughter about firearms when she's old enough..right now she can't even roll over),
What about taking the cylinder out of the gun and keeping it locked/tucked away in a drawer?
Once you get used to dropping the lever, pulling the pin, and feeding in the cylinder, "loading" an 1858 doesn't take much more time to a practiced hand than a speedloader on a modern revolver. However, to even curious children, they would still have to find BOTH piece AND get it together before the gun would operate...just a thought.

I keep all of my firearms locked up and unloaded short of the shotgun for HD. Even that is kept at cruiser ready, so in order to chamber a round the latch must be activated.
I keep my .45 in a locked safe in my closet. The key stays on my keychain which never leaves my person short of bedtime. It's unlocked at night before I go to bed, I retrieve my gun in the morning once I am dressed (it's also my carry piece). It goes in and is locked up as soon as I step in the door. I don't store it chambered and I drop the mag. So luckily, my daughter would have to figure out how to get the "stick thingy" in the gun and wrack the slide which has a pretty stiff spring.

Kids certainly make things a bit trickier, don't they

Page generated in 0.02616 seconds with 8 queries