View Single Post
Old February 24, 2002, 04:26 PM   #6
Sierra1

I am trying to recall the exact info but I believe it went like this...in it's early stages of develpoment by Eugene Stoner what we now know as the AR series of rifles was produced by Armalite which was owned by Fairchild Aircraft. Armalite had several good ideas but hardly any of them sold. Several versions of the AR were submitted to the Army for testing but they were continually dismissed as the brass beleived that a battel rifle should be of the same build and caliber as the M-14 rifle. That and the Army had just put in a very large order for M-14's and spare parts, and thus had to standby their decision. Eventually Armalite under Fairchild went broke, as they spent too much money on R&D and didn't sell anything. So Armalite sold the designs, molds, etc to Colt who begain producing the weapon. However, as part of the deal AR remained the designation for the weapon as used by Armalite. So, the Colt AR (CAR) is a COlt Armalite Rifle. Some will say, as Colt did that no, AR was for automatic rifle, however the designation remains, and is still used by Armalite who is again producing rifles, i.e. AR-10.

I'm sure someone with a military background could tell you why, but all weapon systems have "M" as a designation which precedes the numbers, i.e. M9, M16. M4, M249, etc.

Page generated in 0.02622 seconds with 8 queries