View Single Post
Old June 22, 2011, 12:41 AM   #30
Sarge

I don't have a source for cheap reloading equipment but I have accumulated quote a bit over the years by buying from private individuals who were looking to make a quick buck, or just decided reloading wasn't for them.

There are places to scrimp and places to not. Lee dies are cheap, by comparison, and have never been anything but top notch in my experience. Their low-buck case trimmers do a fine job. I've used their hand held priming tools to the point that one is on its 3rd rebuild.Their little 'Perfect' powder measure is usable if not perfect; it may leak a little, during use, with the finest of powders. It does throw reliable, consistent charges and that's what you want in a measure. If you're throwing big charges of stick powder, a better measure is worth the expense. I've got an old Hornady Deluxe that cost more, but is well worth the price.

Buy the best scales you can afford. I acquired an old Ohaus 1010 in 1985, from a fella I paid to do some work that he never finished. I don't tolerate those things very well and when I ran him to ground, he offered up the scale for the $25 of the money he couldn't pay back... best $25 I never spent. It must be 45 years old and I wouldn't trade it for anything. RCBS makes essentially a repro version that sell for about 150 bucks.

Presses are hard to screw up and used ones are generally good as new.

Being safe, consistent and checking your work periodically will still make excellent reloads on old, wore-out equipment. Reloading is a lot like shooting in that regard. It's the Indian, not the arrow, that puts buffalo hump on the coals.

Page generated in 0.02557 seconds with 8 queries