View Single Post
Old June 24, 2010, 02:22 PM   #1
bedbugbilly

Ruger "Vaquero" - need advice / input

I know this is a BP site but am going to post this anyway as I know a lot of you shoot CAS, etc. and use a Ruger "Vaquero". Up to now, I've strictly shot BP for over 45 years with the exception of a 1911A! Colt Automatic. I usually shoot a '51 Colt Navy. I am looking at purchasing a "Vaquero" to use for target practice, critters on the farm and HP as well. I don't want a fancy "automatic" pistol - I'm more comfortable with a revolver and used to single actions. I'm looking at buying a 357 so that I can shoot 38 specials in it. I'm thinking a 5 1/2" barrel. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to "handle" one as the local dealers don't have any on their shelves so it will have to be ordered. Now for my questions.

Barrel length - is the 5 1/2" barrel a good length? I want something more compact than say a 6 or 7 inch barrel. I know they make it with an approx. 4 1/2 inch barrel as well. What are your experiences as far as barrel length and accuracy?

Finish - blued or stainless. Evidently they are about the same price. I won't be shooting BP cartridges in it. I'm thinking about holster wear over time, etc. as well as shooting on bright sunny days. What would your suggestions be?

# of cartridges in cylinder - I know they are 6 shot - for normal "field use" - i.e. carrying while hunting or hiking, etc. - what is normal? The hammer resting on an empty chamber? (as I do with my BP revolvers).

Design - I've looked at the pictures of the standard Vaquero as well as the "Bisley". I know the hammer spur is higher on the standard model and the Bisley is lower. The grip frame on the Bisley seems more "canted" (for want of a better word) towards the triggerguard. Does one model have advantaqges over the other? Will the standard model grip and point more like a "51 Navy. How comfortable is the Bisley to hold in regards to aiming and pointing?

I'm going to purchase this as I said for general use - target shooting and carrying in the field. I won't be using it for CAS or similar - more for a "utility" piece. No "quick draws" or "Wyatt Earp" shenanagins either. Any input / suggestions / remarks / what to ask the dealer or to look for / etc. would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks! bedbug
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63

Page generated in 0.03836 seconds with 8 queries