View Single Post
Old November 14, 2005, 09:06 PM   #1
drvector

Old Pacific single stage press

Greetings All,

…Looking for a little advice, I was all set to purchase an RCBS RockChucker Supreme kit. No kidding, I was two days away from punching the button on this! I’ve got a bunch of Cabelas points all saved up and with the latest catalog that had an additional $25 coupon I was all set to go. It wouldn’t have cost me a penny for the kit. Now one of my buddies comes along and “throws the wrench” in the works by hooking me up with an old single stage Pacific single stage press (Hornady bought them out 35 years ago) and Redding balance beam scale for free.

So the long and the short of it is, do any of you know anything about either of these two pieces of equipment. The Pacific press is a “C” style cast iron press that has seen some action, but appears to be in working condition. I don’t have any dies or shell holders, so I haven’t been able to check whether there are any alignment issues. For that matter, I’m not sure if shell holders are a universal item that can be swapped from one press manufacturer to another or if they are still available for this press.

Then there is the redding scale…the RockChucker kit comes with a RCBS 505 scale. Are these comparable? The scale appears to be in good shape and I've heard that Redding equipment has a great reputation, but I’ve not yet checked the scale with calibrated weights (I’d have to buy a set of those). So what you folks think? Should I hang it there with the original plan and pick up the RCBS stuff, or build on the press and scale I lucked out on - any pros or cons?

Thanks

Last edited by drvector; November 14, 2005 at 09:43 PM.

Page generated in 0.02265 seconds with 8 queries