View Single Post
Old September 26, 2005, 11:11 PM   #1
Garand Illusion

It's amazing what people don't notice ...

Like most people getting in to CCW, I've always just assumed that the slightest bulge in your clothes created by a pistol is like a big, neon sign above your head that says "This guy is carrying a gun. POLICE -- come hassle him. CITIZENS -- Panic!!"

As time has gone on, I've come to realize that it might identify a firearm to someone who cares enough to specifically look, but no one is actively checking everyone out for guns.

Today I discovered it even goes a step further ...

I was getting ready to leave for the airport. I often go ahead and leave my pistol in the car when I go out of town -- it's a long drive, and this time I'm coming back late. My car is also in well monitored covered parking.

So ... I stuck my little auto into my belt in my IWB holster, not bothering to put my shirt over it because I was just going to put the whole works in the console anyway.

As I'm starting downstairs I hear my wife come home. Now ... obviously she knows I carry, but she's always been against it. I knew if she saw me with that gun openly sticking out of my belt she would give me a hard time.

But I decided ... what the heck. I'm not going to sneak out of the house like a teenager.

So I went downstairs to talk to the wife. Gave her a hug and a kiss ... and shes didn't notice! I made no attempt to conceal it, either.

We talked for a few moments, I kissed my daughter good bye, hugged my wife again, and headed out the door.

When I got to the car I heard her calling to me from the door to say good bye one more time. I turned, and she shouted, "Hey -- you don't have your pocket knife on you, do you?" because TSA has taken a couple of these from me.

I couldn't help but laugh. As I stood there with the butt of a 9mm auto sticking openly out of my belt, I assured her that I didn't have my pocket knife.

She's not a ditz ... she's not stupid ... but somehow she never noticed that black handle sticking out of my belt. Probably just noticed it out of the corner of her eye and thought it was part of my cell phone or something ... but in any case I thought that was pretty interesting.

Page generated in 0.02247 seconds with 8 queries