View Single Post
Old June 11, 2010, 09:29 PM   #10
inSight-NEO

Quote:
I'm sure this question has been asked before but can i buy a heat shield for my mossberg 590 with ghost ring sights. If anyone knows where i can get one please let me know. thanks
I am sure you can. But, putting one on with those GR sights (let alone taking it off for maintenance purposes) will be a struggle. Is it worth the effort? You decide.

Quote:
I am considering the possible purchase of a 590 in a few weeks myself. Is the heatshield really good for much. I don't imagine a pump shotgun getting too hot 9rds at a time. Is it more for show or a serious option to consider?
I would not bother.

Although cool and perhaps useful in extreme situations, I feel that a heatshield was just unnecessary, dead weight. Plus, if you are a stickler at cleaning your gun, it can be a b*tch to keep clean.

BTW- Depending on your use, I would opt for the 590A1 vs a 590. I bought a 590 (yes, with a heatshield) and within a few weeks, purchased a heavy walled barrel, metal safety and metal trigger assembly. Its much more solid now, but it cost me several hundred more than had I simply bought the A1 to begin with. Check around....the 590A1 is not much more than a 590, go figure. Go out and handle one. If nothing else, you should get the sense that it is built like a tank (nothing wrong with the "usual" 590, though). Take a close look at the barrel...it is nice and thick...durable. Plus, the parkerized coating doesn't hurt either. The only downside is that the 590A1 is heavy. Some "purists" do not like this. But, given my needs, it is no problem.

It all depends on your needs.
Guns are similar, for instance, to automobiles; in the hands of the sane and responsible, they are generally harmless. In the hands of the insane, careless or malicious, they both become deadly. Blame the person, not the means....mechanical/inanimate objects have no mind of their own.

Last edited by inSight-NEO; June 11, 2010 at 09:57 PM.

Page generated in 0.04633 seconds with 8 queries