View Single Post
Old February 28, 2012, 04:12 AM   #1
Elliottsdad

Well then where AM I allowed to carry?

I live in Omaha, Nebraska and am researching the application proccess for a concealed carry license. I ran across this at the Nebraska State Patrol website; these are locations prohibited from concealed carry:

Quote:
018 PROHIBITED PLACES AND PREMISES
018.01 A permit holder may carry a concealed handgun anywhere except:

018.01A Police, sheriff, or Nebraska State Patrol station or office;
018.01B Detention facility, prison, or jail;
018.01C Courtroom or building containing a courtroom;
018.01D Polling place during a bona fide election;
018.01E Meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or other political subdivision;
018.01F Meeting of the Legislature or a committee of the Legislature;
018.01G Financial institutions as defined by Nebraska Revised Statutes § 8-101(12);
018.01H Professional or semi-professional athletic event;
018.01I School building, school grounds, school-owned vehicle, or school-sponsored activity or athletic event of any public,
private, denominational, or parochial elementary, vocational, or secondary school, a private postsecondary career school as defined in Nebraska Revised Statutes § 85-1603, a community college, or a public or private college, junior college, or university;
018.01J Place of worship;
018.01K Hospital, emergency room, or trauma center;
018.01L Political rally or fundraiser;
018.01M Establishment having a liquor license which derives over one-half of its income from the sale of alcoholic liquor;
018.01N Any place where the carrying or possession of a firearm is prohibited by state or federal law;
018.01O Any place or premises or employer owned vehicle where those in control of the place, premises or vehicle have prohibited permit holders from carrying concealed handguns; or
018.01P Any other place or premises where handguns are prohibited by state law.
I'm running down my average day. Most grocery stores in Omaha have the no concealed carry sign, so they're out. Most gas stations do, too. I work at a hospital, so that's out. I take night classes; can't carry there, either. Can't carry in church (not that I feel the need, but just saying...). I'm beginning to feel like passing the concealed carry laws were merely lip service. They've created a system where there's an illusion of the privelege: for all intents and purposes, they've allowed pretty much every business in the city to "opt-out" by posting these signs.
I thought we went through an intensive background check, classroom experience, qualified with the weapon, and paid a large fee, all for the privilege to carry a concealed weapon. Am I missing something, or is this total BS?

Page generated in 0.03690 seconds with 8 queries