View Single Post
Old November 3, 2008, 01:13 PM   #15
BigJimP

Sorry, I think the low post is probably a little more versatile / but its not a clear cut go one way or the other. I think in general - if you wanted to shoot the gun for Trap, other than just casually, the high post might give you a little more adjustment for POI on the high side ( so you could get to the 70% high / 30% low pattern vs 60/40 or 50/50 which I like to shoot on Skeet, Sporing and in my hunting guns. I like a high Trap gun - 70/30 but that's partly why I go to a dedicated Trap gun - like the Browning XT 32" ( and its heavier as well ).

A note:

Briley will make a carrier barrel, from your supplied barrel, for $ 500. I'm guessing a new barrel for an O/U is $750 - $1,000. The installation of the light weight tube sets ( and it includes 4 or 5 chokes per set) is $ 1,750. There will be some additional charges to fit the extra barrel to the receiver, probably under $ 500 / shooting both barrels for POI is $ 175 - and an Americase to ship it all back in is probably $ 500 - so you're talking about $4,000 plus the original cost of the gun you are looking at - say $3,000 - so you're into it for about $7,000 - but you will have a very good setup.

Like Zippy said, a new Krieghoff k-80, plain, no scroll work is around $ 10K / DuPont's guns I think he said were around $ 15K (but they have some upgrades typically) - and if you get creative on the scroll pattern and wood upgrades ( $ 20 - $ 35K) is probably what you would pay for a really nice new K-80 ( depending on what the dollar is doing ). I think Kolar, on new guns, right now is probably 15 - 20 % less than Krieghoff ( or $ 16K - $30 K probably ) - and I think the cost of Kolar doing the carrier barrel, etc vs Briley is almost identical to Briley, maybe a little more expensive.

The 4 Browning XS Skeet models that I shoot ( 12, 20, 28, .410 ) - today will cost you about $14,000 for all 4 guns - including 4 hard cases, and 4 sets of extended chokes ( I carry 2 skeet, 2 Imp Cyc, 2 Mod, 1 ImpMod, 1 Full) choke for each gun. But I kind of like having 4 guns - when I go to the carolina's shooting quail, I like taking the 28ga ... or whatever. I also use them as training guns for the grandkids - and handing a 12 year old a
$ 3,000 Browning O/U is one thing - handing them a custom, carrier barrel equipped competition gun, like a K-80, at $ 30K is another thing ....

Page generated in 0.03688 seconds with 8 queries