View Single Post
Old July 26, 2005, 01:29 AM   #6
Larry C.

.357 Magnum round: LOUD and lethal

Bonedigger,

I'm in complete agreement with Grimjaw and BillCA. In an extreme "life or death" moment when a bad guy is within seconds of killing you or a loved one, the .357 magnum cartridge can be a life-saver if YOU are the good guy!
It's proven itself for decades for law enforcement and I believe even the Navy SEALS use a 686 loaded with .357's for some missions. At a velocity of 1100-1200 fps a 125 gr HP round expands in human flesh and DUMPS it's energy. The .357 magnum round is right up there with the .45ACP for it's effectiveness at stopping bad guys effeiciently. It's arguably #1.
For indoor shooting range practice, it'll send 9/10 shooters to the exits after one sharp CRACK!! Now, what about for INDOOR self defense? I prefer revolvers and shoot them better than Semi-Autos. Still, I'm a bit squemish about using such a LOUD, high velocity round for Concealed Carry. That's MY problem, though.
If my LIFE were in danger (and when else would we draw and fire in self-defense?) I'd probably be WANTING 6 rounds of Remington Golden Saber HP's in high octane .357 Magnum! My "house gun" is a Ruger GP-100 .357 loaded with Hornady .38 Sp. HP's. (I heard what I thought was either a single pistol shot or firecracker just moments ago near my house as I was typing this. 10 seconds later, my Airedale Terrier begins barking furiously in our living room!
I retrieved my trusty Ruger turned on my outside lights. no more barking, no more "shots" or single firecracker pops.Hmm...)
To summarize: Get a .357 Magnum like a S&W 586(686), Ruger GP-100 or Colt King Cobra. Practice with .38 Specials and fire about 6 .357 rounds per session for familiarity and perhaps self-defense, but make them hollow-points.

Larry C.

Page generated in 0.03653 seconds with 8 queries