View Single Post
Old March 18, 2013, 11:30 AM   #40
F. Guffey

March 14, 2013, 09:14 AM #1
RCP Fab

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am getting a crisp line, about 1/16" above the top of the taper of case after resizing. It it's just a mark, I can not feel it with my fingernail. The die was bottomed out to the ram, and tightened 1/4 turn, should it be brought lower than this?

Thanks

Again, RCP Fab, the picture you posted indicate you are neck sizing, later in the thread you insist the die is adjusted down to the shell holder and the ram will not go up further. Adjusting the die down after contact with the shell holder will not reduce the length of the case between the shoulder of the case and head of the case unless the case has resistance to being sized, screwing the down further will increase the presses ability to overcome the cases resistance to sizing.

Back to developing skills in trouble shooting, if the die does not make it down to the shell holder when sizing a case the gap between die and shell holder will indicate the presses' inability to size the case in thousandths. One more time, screwing the die down further after contact will increase the presses ability to overcome the cases ability to resist sizing, screwing the die down will not increase the dies ability in reduce the length of the case from the shoulder to the head of the case, the dies ability to restore a case to minimum length is set by the deck height of the shell holder to the shoulder inside of the die.

More tools, beyond reloading, the spring/flex/give/flexibility of the press can be measured, I have three presses that are guaranteed not to flex/give/spring, there is no one left to back the promise or make parts for for the old presses, still out there are the old advertisements demonstrating the strength of the presses when compared to other presses. Added to one press in a bar that was added to a ā€˜Cā€™ open fronted press, the bar attached to the top of the ā€˜Cā€™ and attached to the press frame at the bottom.

Additional sizing can be gained by raising the case off the deck of the shell holder, to accomplish this method/technique it would be necessary for most reloaders to purchase a thickness gage from Redding or a feeler gage from Harbor freight or any other tool distributor that sells feeler gages. I form cases for short chambers, rather than purchase a short chamber die for $100.00+ I use the most humble tool, the feeler gage.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.02312 seconds with 8 queries