View Single Post
Old July 8, 2005, 07:55 AM   #1
cdoc42

Neck turning problem

I've been reloading for over 25 years and have never experienced this situation. I neck-turned some Winchester .300 WSM cases, loaded them with 62.0 gr of IMR4320 behind a Hornady SST 150gr, fired by CCI LR primers. Fired them off, then resized. I noticed there was very little resistance as the expander plug pulled through the case. Usually this is a hassle and requires lubrication of some sort. I took a Hornady SST bullet and hand-fitted it into the mouth of the case. It met case resistance but the bullet seemed to start to seat itself deeper than in cases I had not neck-turned. One case out of 20 actually allowed the bullet to drop right into the body of the case as though I had never resized it. Repeated attempts to resize made no difference. I took a previously loaded round and removed the bullet with my impact hammer. One small whack and the bullet popped out. usually I have to hit the hammer several times. Could it be that my neck-turning operation removed too much external brass and upon firing the case expanded to such an extent that I cannot resize to accept the .308 bullet?

Page generated in 0.03859 seconds with 8 queries