View Single Post
Old December 18, 2013, 10:57 PM   #38
Nathan

I think your idea of a nice wood stocked hunting rifle sounds great. My advice would be to look at smaller calibers. We all seem to want a big boomer, but there are some sweet lighter calibers which do the job well like 257 roberts, 6.5 Creedmor, etc. . .but 308 and 338 Federal would give more whoap!

While a Leupold 3-9 is a fine scope, I find s a scope with a BDC reticle is a nice feature. Sometimes a brand like Leupold may have have a lens coating which is less agreeable to your eyes. Frankly, my eyes like Burris, Sightron and Nikon over Leupold in that midrange. Leupold does make sweet scopes and they keep the weight down.

For a wood stocked hunting rifle, I really like the Savage 14 model. Stocks look and feel good. Barrels have a bit of meat and the actions are pretty good.

Scope mount. . .Don't forget a good scope mount. Usually a 1 pc base and picatinney rings hold things well. Weaver should be OK, but can be a bit dicey. . .seems like Weaver spec is kind of sloppy. Warne, Leupold, TPS. . .all good.

Page generated in 0.03481 seconds with 8 queries