View Single Post
Old June 6, 2000, 06:37 PM   #4
SnakeLover

To a certain extent, it probably depends on where you will be hunting. If you are planning to go to South Africa, the shots could be considerably longer and the additional power may prove beneficial. Then again, if you aren't comfortable taking shots greater than a predetermined limit and the 2.5 works for that, stay with it. My shortest shot this past safari was 156 yards, the longest 386 yards, all measured with my range finder. My .338 A Bolt rifle carried a 2X7 Leopold Vari-X II.

Another reason to consider staying with the 2.5 fixed would be consistency. You are familiar shooting through that scope. If you changed scopes and the new scope has a thicker center post or different lines, and you weren't as familiar with it, it might throw you in a quick shot situation.

I don't think your choice between fixed or variable can be a bad one, so long as you are comfortable with it. You may also want to check out Craig Boddington's book, "SAFARI RIFLES - Doubles, Magazine Rifles, and Cartridges for African Hunting". From this and your other post, this could be a great reference tool for you.

Good Luck!

Page generated in 0.03581 seconds with 8 queries