View Single Post
Old February 10, 2013, 02:44 PM   #1
Travelin' Man

Primer Substitutions

I have a question for a situation I have recently come across due to the craziness currently flowing through the firearms community.

I've been reloading since '96 and have always worked up rifle and pistol loads from starting load data, safety is always my first concern, but due to the current lack of supply of some components, primarily primers, I am considering do something "radical" and could use a little advice or guidance on. I am currently in good supply of loaded rifle rounds, .223, .308, and 6.8SPC, and have a large supply of rifle primers in both large and small and large magnum but I am completely out of large pistol and large pistol magnum primers. I haven't been able to locate, either in stores or at gun shows any of the large pistol primers I need to load .45 ACP and .44 Magnum, so the question is this, could I substitute large rifle or large rifle magnum primers for the large pistol and large pistol magnum primers used in the mentioned cartridges? I have time and other supplies needed to experiment so if I do this substitution where do think would be a good starting point, perhaps 20% lower than starting loads?

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Richard

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; February 10, 2013 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Move to Own Thread

Page generated in 0.03468 seconds with 8 queries