View Single Post
Old January 15, 2012, 06:16 PM   #45
Hardy

We do not have a time machine to go back there. All letters posted by my ancestors from the civil war never spoke of their firearms. I did see on an earlier post about HOW did those guys care and fix their guns. What I do know is that there were gunsmiths on every corner. They were as popular as blacksmiths etc. All general stores sold guns like they sold bags of sugar. No FFL etc! There is no mention that I know of in the history of that era of talks about chain fires. Or how they talked about how to prevent them. And too; no mention of any problems of these! Maybe(Period info and advise from old letters/ manuals/ etc.) 150+/- years ago about fixing/caring/ problems for percussion revolvers might be enlightening and fascinating. As I said before--never owning one, I bought an old brass gun made in Augusta Ga supposedly during the war. I think it was Gunnison. it chain fired and came out of my hand. Um I think it did. I thought the gun was broke until someone from the country of S/E Georgia told me to grease it. Anyway, maybe the balls were too small. I don't know. I haven't had a chain fire since. A round ring of lead after loading should prevent it. NOW ---caps are the problem with most new shooters. The possible shop told me that Amco caps will solve 97% of problems of caps falling off or misfiring. Chain fires can come from nipples too. I ordered some for a 58 44--hadn't come yet but anxious to see how they do..

WBH

Page generated in 0.03201 seconds with 8 queries