View Single Post
Old July 19, 2011, 09:17 PM   #671
BillCA

Quote:
Lacking law enforcement authority, The Congress retains what has been described as The Power of The Purse. Whether or not it has the intestinal fortitude to exercise that power could be, and perhaps is that often mentioned "different story". I suppose that we shall see.
Congress also has the statutory authority. This means that Congress can pass a law creating a special independent prosecutor to investigate the DOJ. Given the subject of the investigation, they can tailor the law to require the independent prosecutor to report to Congress or to a body within the judiciary for oversight. The executive might challenge it, but I suspect the judiciary would agree that executive branch oversight would be a major conflict of interest.

Contempt of Congress is a civil breach and treated as such in the courts. Congress has no law-enforcement powers of its own, but may sue other branches for failing to comply with constitutional requirements and hold those responsible up to a civil trial in a the public light. Multiple convictions of contempt (or other constitutional violations) can form the basis of solid evidence for impeachment (but is not a requirement, it just bolsters the case).

Quote:
So what about time shares? A time share is like a condominium (or maybe a cooperative), is it not? If I buy into a time share, am I not an owner? So what's stopping an enterprising group from establishing a time share somewhere in the Poconos or western Pennsylvania, or western Virginia, conveniently close to a gun shop or three. Prospective DC gun buyers buy a share of time, go spend a week or two weeks at their vacation residence, buy the gun and legally bring it back to DC.
One would have to carefully study the proposition. While BATFE and the Federal authorities recognize "dual residency" -- such as a college student living away from home or a vacation home in another state -- the states involved may not recognize dual-residency (i.e. MA and CA do not).

In other words, if you're a D.C. resident and go to State X to reside in a condo for 2 months, State X may still require you prove that you are a bona fide resident of State X. "Resident" may be defined as being employed in the state and/or paying income taxes to the state and/or being resistered to vote in the State.

It's likely that if you live in NJ or MA and register to vote in TN so you can buy guns there, local MA or NJ law may strip you of your resident status. That could have other legal repercussions -- such as paying extra taxes for your kids to attend local schools. (the bureaucracy never ends).

Page generated in 0.02363 seconds with 8 queries