View Single Post
Old February 13, 2006, 02:55 PM   #8
rmagill

A similar thing happend to me at work over the summer at an amusement park. A group of people cut in front of a few hundred people and, per park policy, I asked them to go to the end of the line. Well, the one guy did not like that too well and said that he would "blow my head off". He then left the ride saying that he will remember what I look like. I filed a report with security and later that night Mr. Friendly comes back and verbally gets my attention saying he would not line-jump again (evidencing that he does indeed remember my description). Well, security was called and he was charged with harassment (could have been making Terroristic Threats, but the officer/DA didn't think it would stick too well in court).

In this situation, lethal force would not have been justified because, while he threatened to shoot me, he was not presenting/trying to present the means to do so. Part of the justifacation of using lethal force is that the subject must have a motive and the means to carry out a lethal attack. If the group does not have the means (disparity of force discounted for sake of arguement) to use lethal force on you, it is not a lethal force situtation.

However, I did press charges, one main reason being documentation. Now, if the person does decide to make good on the threat and I have to shoot him, well his motive is documented and the charge will show his past history of agression towards me.

Page generated in 0.03224 seconds with 8 queries