View Single Post
Old July 2, 2007, 07:13 AM   #5
1BadF350

FirstFreedom, here's my two cents.
If my AR50 is any indicator, the AR30 is an extremely accurate rifle out of the box. The 300WM and 338 Lapua with muzzle break will be a pussycat to shoot.
I've read that a muzzle brakes efficiency increases with the size of the round. Meaning the brake on th 50bmg is more efficient that the same brake on a 300wm. This does not mean the 50 recoils less than the 300wm, it means that the overall reduction in felt recoil (as a percentage of total felt recoil without brake) is higher with the bigger round.
That being said, my Armalite AR-50 recoils like a 20ga shotgun. It is very mild. The loudness of the report and the muzzle blast in your face WILL get your attention. It's seriously loud.
As far as choosing between the 300wm and the 338 Lapua, the 338 ballistically exceeds the 300wm at 1000 yards in every imaginable way. The downside is cost of ammo, which I'm sure you have researched already.
I've toyed with the thought of getting the AR30 so my AR50 has a younger brother. I decided, based on ammo cost and my particular application, that I would choose the 300WM with brake. I am not match shooting at 1000+ yards and it would be a fun gun to have.

Page generated in 0.03097 seconds with 8 queries