View Single Post
Old October 17, 2009, 10:56 PM   #1
RonC

Adventures in Wood

I finally had the opportunity to shoot the wood bullet "blanks" in my Swedish M96 Mauser made in 1910. First, I must say that I hope I look as good as this M96 when I am 100. The metal parts are in magnificent condition.

The regular cartridges shot high at 100 yards because the Elite peep sights had been set for 300 meter competition and the rear sight would not go up high enough to get the shots on paper at a mere 100 yards. However, the cartridges with wooden bullets shot lower and could be registered to hit the target. They weren't particularly accurate, giving 3-3.5" groups at 100 yards.

For those who aren't familiar with the Swedish surplus ammo, an explanation is in order. It was explained to me here on the firing line. The Swedish army was issued standard 6.55 x 55 cartridges for shooting practice. However, for drills, the troops were issued cartridges with normal brass casings and wooden bullets shaped like the real thing. A metal cover was placed over the muzzle so that the wooden bullet wouldn't go off and hurt someone. I was curious to see if the wooden bullet cartridges could be used for short distance target shooting. The answer was yes, but without the accuracy typical to the standard cartridge.

Wood may be great on a 1946 Ford "Woodie," but is only mediocre in a cartridge.
Several variations of wooden bullet cartridges:

The rifle:

Ron

Page generated in 0.02385 seconds with 8 queries