View Single Post
Old January 2, 2006, 04:02 PM   #4
The British Soldier

Quote:
Close quarter combat drill. I've never taken the course though. The point though is to point and shoot not to aim and shoot
I spent a sizeable chunk of my military career doing 'CQB' - Close Quarters Battle - and we were trained to always use sights; if you release a shot without them you are unlikely to achieve your objective.

I was initially taught a variation of the 'Grant-Taylor Method', which places the body in such an uncomfortable firing position that I was relieved when we started using the Weaver Stance. The fantastic point about this stance and how it develops is that we stand with the pistol at the navel, in the two handed grip; for each double tap encounter we would punch both arms out and once extended fire twice, then recover to the waist.

It does two things:

Develops fantastic muscle memory
Enables you to shoot at any point from navel to fully extended, because the pistol barrel is horizontal contstantly.

Often in CQB, targets may come up 'in your face' and you will be shooting as the pistol is coming up, but you have not yet acquired the sights.

Is that what you deem as 'Quick Kill'?

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains
And the women come out to cut up what remains
Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling.

Page generated in 0.03310 seconds with 8 queries