View Single Post
Old July 17, 2011, 01:28 PM   #6
yomitche

Thank you so much for the input!

I have begun reading, but sometimes, in anticipation of successful research, it's too much not to simply ask other, more informed folks, a question.

I suspected it was possible for a bullet to get lodged in a barrel from undercharging, but wasn't sure. Thanks for confirming the possibility! I certainly intend to follow load data properly, but wondered what other potential complications could occur from undercharging. I started using the HS-6 powder, according to the charts, and was surprised at how much more HS-6 powder was required compared to, say, Unique... and was a bit leery of overcharging. So I started using the least amount possible. Then I wondered, "well, what if you undercharged a round? Could that lead to complications? Of course it can, but wasn't sure I could independently answer what they could be. I have an RCBS 5-0-5 scale, and am comfortable using it, so I'm not concerned about a lot of potential for error (though it does exist -I'm human, after all), but just started to wonder...

The point about OAL is well made! I understand that because the 9mm round is a bit shortish to begin with, that the pressures that can build if improperly sized could be tremendous! I'm glad that the technique I used has precedence. The list of equipment necessary to make perfect rounds is long! But I will soon get a caliper, because it's too important not to.

Thanks for the input about the lead bullets! I will stick to the FMJ stuff for a bit before I step out into the lead, but once I feel more comfortable, and have a bit more knowledge/competence, I'm gonna give it a try! Thanks for confirming it can be done, though!

I really appreciate the feedback and the patience with a new guy!
Much respect!

Page generated in 0.03184 seconds with 8 queries