View Single Post
Old October 20, 2007, 07:13 PM   #1
johnm1

Security Six - Cylinder Hand

Still not sure how I did this, but somehow it had to be a mistake I made. Last week I had some trouble with my 6" Security Six . It's over 25 years old and never given a lick of trouble. Description of problem:

While the hammer is traveling rearwards, either single or double action the gun would sometimes bind. The bind ranged from very hard to pull the hammer/trigger back to a complete stop. I mean there were times I could not cycle the action no matter how hard I pulled either the trigger or hammer back. During the incidents of complete stops, the cylinder would start to turn, maybe a 1/16" and stop. Releasing the hammer/trigger and returning the cylinder to its previous cylinder stop would sometimes allow the action to be cycled most often with a bind. This happened most on the 4th or 5th shots from a cylinder.

I notice that the inside of the gun frame is relieved to allow the hand to move up and down in response to the trigger and the relieved portion is 'deep' enough to hide the hand from view from above (though the space in front of the trigger with the trigger in the cocked single action position). This next part is hard to put into words, so bear with me. I noticed that the hand was not all the way against the side of the frame while looking down the space left when the trigger is pulled into the single action position. I reached down this space with a plastic pick and was able to push the hand closer to the frame. Of course it would spring back to its original location. I disassembled the gun and tried to gently 'bend' the hand so it would travel more closely to the frame. Being it's hardened steel I doubt I actually bent the hand but since then I have not been able to reproduce the failure.

I clean my guns after each outing (once a week) so there is opportunity for me to have done something wrong in re-assembling the what, 10 parts that make up the gun. (a simpler design I couldn't imagine). I found immediately after purchasing the gun that it is easiest to pull the hammer all the way back to remove the hammer during disassembly. Installation is easiest if the trigger/hammer is most of the way back. This just seems to make aligning the hole in the trigger with the holes in the frame easier. The only thing I can think of that I did different recently was that after one cleaning I accidentally installed the hammer without pulling the trigger back. I found that the trigger did not engage the rest of the action correctly when I cycled the gun. The hammer must have been installed in front of something when it should have been installed behind. I removed and reinstalled the trigger correctly and all seemed ok. But this was the week before the problem occurred. Not sure if this has anything to do with my problem, just the only thing that has been out of the ordinary in the last week or so.

Now that's a lot of words when the simple question is this:

Is the cylinder hand supposed to travel close the frame or is it acceptable for the hand to be 'away' from the inside of the frame?

Any help or experience would be helpful. I feel like the Coyote who broke the anvil Thanks

Page generated in 0.02361 seconds with 8 queries