Thread: 80% Receiver:
View Single Post
Old August 17, 2013, 05:49 AM   #16
HiBC

Do whatever makes you happy,but,if a person is patient,a YHM or Aero or? finished lower will come along.Modest price and just fine.

Without the hardcoat anodizing ,aluminum wears fast.Even if you hit all the machining right on,a non-anodized receiver is very substandard.

You will still have a lot invested in barrel,bcg,lpk,sights,furiture.etc and you want to build on a cream cheese not hardcoated receiver? Myself,I'd build on a quality foundation.

If you are going to have it hardcoated,check the price.There is usually a minimum ,and,if you can get a YHM or DPMS for under $200,that minimum will make a lot of the difference.I have the skills and tools,but I'm not interested.

A better machinist project might be making the specialty tools.That will save you as much.

John Williamson,do you have to thread for the buffer tube?If you do not allow for the anodizing,you will not screw your buffer tube in.If you make your trigger pin holes .154,or .155,your pins wont go in the holes.Your mag catch may not work freely.Rework the parts?Well,have a good time.

Not giving you a hardtime,Ive just seen some very sad things happen in the shop.Not everyone has to learn the hard way.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I do not advocate more/new firearms law,but be aware if this is to get around not being able to buy /pass background check ,it still results in a prohibited person in possession of a firearm.Lots of trouble.(not accusing!)

Last edited by HiBC; August 17, 2013 at 06:09 AM.

Page generated in 0.03279 seconds with 8 queries