View Single Post
Old March 15, 2011, 10:40 PM   #16
BitterTait

I could probably make a prototype of skan's plan out of Lego gears. Would be an interesting project, and I could take over/under bets on how many rounds it goes through before it falls apart.

I do know that having a trigger that shoots both when you pull it and when you release it is permitted. Not something I'd want; burning through ammo is fun but that's a bit dangerous and stupid even for my taste.

I had two ideas for fast-shooting guns that may or may not be legal. Neither of which I implemented nor will implement without a license or permission from the BATFE.

1. Based off a childhood toy where you pulled a perforated strip of plastic through a fake m-16, this engaged some sort of mechanism that made a rattling sound to simulate gunfire. A chain or strip with perforations engages a cogwheel, as the cogwheel spins, it rotates a cam that actuates the trigger. Alternatively, a string wrapped around a pulley would work, but you'd get a lot less control. May be mushy enough that it counts as a machine gun. If you decided to tape a rock to the end of the strip or string to weigh it down so it pulls it's self using gravity, the rock (or possibly the earth it's self, it's generating the gravidic forces responsible for firing) would legally be a machine gun per the BATFE.

2. Based off the "one trigger press, one shot" idea, with a slight twist. A delayed trigger. A device that screws into the gun that has two separate triggers. Pull the first trigger and it mechanically or electrically actuates the trigger once. Pull the second trigger it does nothing but increment a counter, pull the first trigger again and and it fires twice: once for the first trigger pull, once for the second. Pull the second trigger 5 times and the first trigger once, and it shoots 6 shots total. One trigger pull: one shot. Just so happens the shots are slightly timeshifted. Useful? no. Illegal? Probably. Fun? I'd think so.

I'd bet I could get away with #1, and even odds the BATFE would allow #2 for 3 weeks before reversing their stance and demanding all of the ones produced back. Ether way not something I'll try without express approval, a manufacturing license, and enough money to afford both a good lawyer and a large amount of ammunition.