View Single Post
Old June 18, 2005, 12:53 PM   #4
Jeff Randall

One of my heros, philosopher Ayn Rand, was preaching Individualism many years ago.

While I agree with Claire that we are over-regulated, over-taxed, and over-ruled I have also seen the aftermath when somone takes these "givens" and escalates beyond the definition of "outlaw" that Claire writes about. This is not to say that she is wrong for writing how she feels since every indvidual has to be repsonsible for his/her own actions.

I've spent many years studying extremism and "those who feel that politics is a contact sport" (to steal a phrase coined by a friend of mine). What I have learned is a good "leader" can take the average Joe citizen who wears his heart on his sleeve and wind him up into being a soldier. So, yes, it is possible to take the guy that's pissed about seat belt laws and eventually make a bomber out of him, as far-fetched as that may sound.

"Leaders" of revolutionary type organizations loathe Individualism since Individualists *usually* cannot be brainwashed into being soldiers for the often hidden "greater cause." I think that point should have been made more clear in Claire's article. I don't see her philosophy in this article as being "outlaw" since, as she writes none of us can truly be completely within the law. Rather I think the premise of her whole piece is "Individualism." All in all a good piece for those who truly understand the difference.

Page generated in 0.03656 seconds with 8 queries