View Single Post
Old July 5, 2010, 08:42 AM   #18
ClydeFrog

Good instructors, top level training, good gear & tactics..

This subject comes up often on many firearms/tactics forums.
In short, I'd save up the $$$ or spend/plan wisely with top level instructors & programs. Don't waste your time or $$$ with poser nitwits or mall ninjas AKA: keyboard commandos.
Research top schools like the SIG Sauer Academy, the S&W programs, Massad Ayoob Group, Thunder Ranch, Front Site, Trident Concepts: Jeff Gonzales(check spelling). Check backgrounds, state issued licenses(and/or business complaints-consumer issues). A well run firearms or tactics program should be professional, safe and well organized. Avoid the wear & tear schools too. I've seen a few of these jokers/classes first hand.
If you have military or public safety $$$ to repair or replace weapons & gear then go to these places. I don't see the point of pounding & breaking guns. I had a K/firearms instructor about 8 years ago tell my training class; "you have to work firearms hard and pound the controls." This guy was a former US Army SF-SOF soldier who even the school's mgr said was highly unstable.
If you can't get formal skill training, buy a few DVDs & books. Clint Smith Kelly McCann, Massad Ayoob, Jeff Cooper, John Farham, etc have detailed books and offer practical advice for citizens & sworn LE officers.

Finally, if you want to take local courses, take one or two classes or workshops and get a feel for the program. If you learn a lot and it helps, take other classes. A few US gun writers as a industry standard do not critique or dispute training classes. Word of mouth and + student feedback are best.

Page generated in 0.02711 seconds with 8 queries