View Single Post
Old January 8, 2013, 01:44 PM   #1
MadeinAmerica

Brass Safety Questions

I'm a new to reloading and I want to make sure I don't use unsafe brass, but I also don't want to waste it. I recently purchased a large amount of 5.56 once fired Lake City brass. The lot was in excellent condition, so I purchased some more. The second batch was dirty, some rusted from a metal 50 gallon barrel that leaked water, it had green corrosion, etc. I washed the bad cases and the green corrosion wasn't deep, most of the dirt and rust came off, but the casings were stained. I soaked them in Lemi Shine for a few hours and tumbled them. Some of the cases look good and have no visible corrosion or pitting, but others are still stained and feel smooth without pitting.Needless to say, can I safely reload the cases that don't have any corrosion now? Is it ever safe to reload brass that had a very small amount of green corrosion but was removed after tumbling? Ive noticed some nice looking cases occasionally have a little green corrosion on the inside from humidity but it tumbles clean.

Should I make the final determination about whether or not brass is safe after tumbling, or always toss it if there's a few signs of green corrosion?

Lastly, the seller immediately sent me a replacenent shipment of good brass to replace the second batch of crap.

Thanks in advance for your help. I'll gladly post pics if you're interested.

Page generated in 0.03468 seconds with 8 queries