View Single Post
Old May 2, 2012, 11:32 PM   #1
Once Fired

My wife has finally made the plunge

Hi all

So my wife has finally arrived to gun owner club. Well, to put it more precisely, we each now have our own.

My wife agreed to buy a shotgun about 6-9 months ago, while we were still in California. We bought a 12ga for the home, with the idea that just racking it would be nearly as good of a deterrent as the gun itself. Since we were living in our motorhome at the time, so it would have been clearly audible anywhere including outside the vehicle. We weren't in the greatest of neighborhoods. And knowing we would be traveling in the RV periodically, it was also a safety net that we'd always have with us.

She preferred that point of view at the time, and as long as I was there (99% of the time) this would be sufficient. I had learned to shoot long guns as a kid, and had gone shooting many times, and was very comfortable with it. I even sold guns for a couple years while working in a sporting goods retail chain. However, the shotgun was the first one either of us had owned. And my wife really didn't want much to do with it - just having it was enough.

She has now come to the decision she wants her own firearm for personal safety. Nothing happened per se to make the decision occur - just an evolution of her own thinking moved her forward. She can handle the shotgun, but not particularly well since it is pretty heavy for her.

So, as a result we purchased pistols this week. After 16+ years of not wanting guns (even those incredibly well secured) anywhere nearby to the point of getting highly upset, she has come a long, long way. She has progressed past the mutual "we know there's a shotgun in the closet if needed."

She now has her very own sidearm, and has bequeathed upon me a nearly free license to obtain whatever I believe we need. Just don't break the bank kind of thing. We bought:
  • Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm for me
  • KAHR CW9 9mm for her

Interestingly, she really liked the feel of the Beretta, too. With the customizable grip sizes, she might actually be able to use it well, too.

We're set to hit the local range this weekend for an informal class with a few friends, including long time shooting enthusiasts bringing their own arsenals all the way through to other wives who are brand new to shooting and do not yet have a gun themselves. I love how ironic it is that my wife will be one of those who already owns her pistol.

We're covering safety first, of course. Learning the mechanics and functions of the whole firearm, simulated load/unload using snap caps, as well as practice live shooting. It sounds like my wife already wants to shoot my pistol, too.

But, here's the REAL kicker. She is intent upon getting her CHL. We are both applying this weekend, and pursuing classes as soon as we can. She's made quite the transformation compared to years past, and I am unimagineably thrilled with the results.

So, for all the folks who have yet to convince your spouse or significant other to own firearms, use my story as proof that there is always, always hope. Be patient and you'll get there. Trying to force it won't work. I'm not saying not to talk about it - but don't be a battering ram.

Let me tell you, it is going to be downright awesome to see her write her check to the NRA.

I'll report back after our trip to the range.

ZAG

p.s. We're especially interested in hearing feedback from owners on these two pistols, too.

We purchased them primarily based on fit & feel, along with the features we wanted. We bought at McBride's here in Austin, TX - based on a recommendation from this forum. We are very happy with the service & assistance we got at the store. Personal props to David - the guy knows his stuff big time, and was invaluable in the process. I would recommend both the store and David in a heartbeat.
Texas Security Guard Jobs

Page generated in 0.02750 seconds with 8 queries