View Single Post
Old April 15, 2009, 09:50 PM   #5
GUNSITE

I probably sound like a broken record player because I know many users on here have probably said this before but I don't feel the need to sift through thousands of posts to make sure.

I want to reinforce the commonly proposed notion that in a situation which the use of force is necessary, you really aren't thinking straight. Recently, I was attacked (tackled from behind, got up, and it became a boxing match). Despite me preparing myself in the past for any type of physical altercation, I still am simply shocked at how crazy it was.

My mind was in a frenzy and all I could think to do was hit him in the face as hard and as many times as possible. No moves or strategies that I learned from years of wrestling and doing MMA wih buddies helped.

From this, I hope you all take something valuable. Maybe you will think twice before tricking out your guns with 4 pounds of hardware that glows, helps grip, and scratches your ass while you're shooting bad guys. All that hardware will be in a firefight is extra weight that you won't remember why you got because it's such a burden. Learn to shoot simple, and make it muscle memory so you don't have to rely on thinking. I never understood what people meant before the attack. End Quote:

The BEST anyone could POSSIBLY do is default to his or her training, but pressure of a traumatic spontaneous experience changes everything. When i talk to people about defensive GUN situations and how people react, they take for granted those factors because its impossible to reproduce them during training, after all training is make believe to the brain no matter how real we try to make it.

A spontaneous situation creates a 1-2 second freeze of the body because the brain needs to realize and determine what the hell is going on. Like being tackle from behind, once you brain realized what was happening you went to a survival mode reaction.

Same stuff happens in shootings, people think they'll react like they train, hopefully they will, but the element of surprise gunfire in public/private passive surroundings is traumatic, will you be able to summon your skills instantly in real life non make believe situations. Can you draw quickly without fumbling, will you move out of the kill zone, will you cover, can you aim, can you pull the trigger correctly, can you do all those things while moving, or will you panic.

Page generated in 0.03064 seconds with 8 queries