View Single Post
Old November 11, 2008, 08:18 PM   #19
surg_res

Am I correct in my understanding that the ATF only regulates (via FFL 03, or whatever) the interstate transfer of firearms, as that is what the federal government has jurisdiction over (Art I, sec 8).

As far as I understand, any transfer of my property to another person in my state is regulated by my state's law, which in TX means valid drivers license and appropriate age, etc.

How the federal government inserted itself into the process of firearms sales for licensed dealers within ones own state, I do not understand--that is why are dealers required to log all sales and call background checks, etc. They probably have the power to require this only by having the authority to jerk your FFL 'priveledge' at any time.

To me, the C&R distinctly separates me from dealers, as a collector. This license simply facilitates the transfer of weapons from one individual to another across state lines, freeing licensed dealers from this burdensome process. Once transfered, those weapons are private property and not under the regulation of the federal government (note I did not say surveillance).

Dealers, tell me if I am way off on my line of understanding here.

Page generated in 0.02668 seconds with 8 queries