View Single Post
Old November 20, 2001, 10:38 PM   #33
Kimbglock

LawDog,

I do have with you on the overuse of kata. I've seen some school that is basically all they do. I've seen others teach kata, have sparring, but not put the two together. Kata that is taught without (pardon the spelling)Bonkai (application) is just pretty movements.

We practice kata, learn the application, and our instructor lets those with CONTROL have a got at it free style. That does hnot mean we don't get our bumps and bruises, but no one is walking out with broke bones. The occasional black eye, bruised rib, small cut, but considering the intensity between individuals, we control themselves very well.

We are encouraged to apply technique learned during these encounters. We are also encouraged to vary the techinque used.
His statement to me onece " You've got that technique down, is that all you do after 4 years with me? This is as close to actual combat that I can make it for you. Use this time to develop a variety of working technique. If it don't work here, if you make a mistake, it will on cause your a little embarassment among friends." I tried to take is advice to heart, continue expanding the variety of technique learned, and apply the techniques learned through my kata practice and his teaching of Bonkai!

Tim

Page generated in 0.03400 seconds with 8 queries