Thread: Maybe im wrong?
View Single Post
Old July 19, 2009, 05:15 AM   #30
Lost Sheep

Good advice, three or four exceptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir
"...cornered cat..." Females with firearms website. Doesn't apply to you.
I disagree heartily. The cornered cat website has a lot that is intended for women, but tactics, gun handling, safety, legal issues, all are equally applicable to men and women. And Pax is a very competent writer.

Don't just take T. O'Heir's word, or my word for it. Read it and judge for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peptobismol9
I serioulsy dont understand peoples idea that I should be backhanded. Maybe my parents can backhand me, but personally I find it fecking annoying that everyone keeps saying that. So I will tell you what. If you feel up to it. I will pm my number, And we can arrange for you to try and backhand me. Cause maybe I wont win, but I will confident that I would wup the **** out of whoever tries to backhand me. Only my parents get the privilege of doing that, And when im a 40 year old man, they still will, but I wont take that **** from a complete stranger. My dad will probally be happy to know I did this. But Ive had enough of it even hypothetically. ENOUGH. Im Dead serious, And It would be best for you, to just take my word for it. The nerve of Some people ..... This isnt a personal attack against anyone of you, but Im tired of hearing it, because one day, you might wish you had a son like me who is willing to put their life in danger to protect their family. I would gladly take a bullet for any member of my family.
Begging your pardon, but your rhetoric seems pretty much over the top. When I read the "backhand" comment, I thought it was over the top, too. But hyperbole begets hyperbole and when things escalate beyond reason, communication usually suffers. The first one to de-escalate is the mature one. And maturity is the first requirement of handling life-and-death situations. That you asked advice demonstrates some degree of that character trait. That you are still here demonstrates more. That your parents have given their permission for you to keep firearms in the house is evidence that they trust your maturity. Enough said on that.

In any event, the "backhand" comments, though overboard, did not seem to me to be a threat or even an insult, just a rebuke and a little posturing. Nothing to get in a huff about. By the way, your comments about accepting a challenge seemed equally and unnecessarily argumentative. Two wrongs don't make right.

Quote:
I Think I should bring this up cause its kind of funny. About a month ago, the sheltered children next door come running over, At night, Cryting, and screaming. Let me back up and describe a little more. Its about 9:00 at night. Its humid outside and warm, Im in my boxers, Im polishing my sks up, And then it happens. Now I will proceed. I come running out to blood curdling screams you would expect to hear if someone was dying. Outside my room, Nathan, William, And Savanna all ages 5, 10, and 7, are crying and trying to talk. The Oldest, William, Manages to say that someone has broken in. I tell them wait in my room, lock the door, and call the police. I grab my rifle and go to investigate.
You were there, and I wasn't, so this is just general thoughts. Going out to investigate a potential home invastion, burglary or just a stranger at the window by yourself is not something even trained police do without a partner or backup, usually. A civilian doing so when all friendlies are accounted for is usually counter-productive. All the kids were OK. You were OK. The only thing at risk is property? Calling for assistance (911 or even the regular dispatch line) is the recommended course of action.

Quote:
The only thing that bothers me now, is talking my parents into letting me put some ammo in my mags. They consider it unsafe for bullets to be within 3 ft of a gun.
With an 11 year old in the house (especially one who is willing to scare three little neighbor kids), I agree with the caution of not having loaded guns not secured behind locks in the house. A gun safe to store one, weapon with ammunition ready to load would be a wise investment.

In the meantime, I suggest you get some trigger locks for all your guns and use them. Your 11 year old brother is bound to be curious and you must never underestimate the ingenuity of growing boys, especially those already willing to break rules of behaviour. Many municipalities give them away for free.

Please pardon me for going on so long. It is late, but I wanted to share my thoughts, opinions and advice while it is still fresh im my mind.

Lost Sheep

Last edited by Lost Sheep; July 19, 2009 at 05:46 AM.

Page generated in 0.04353 seconds with 8 queries