View Single Post
Old May 6, 2013, 06:43 AM   #7
MrBorland

Lessee...if I had a 50 round box of .22, I'd probably do something like the following:

1. Start off with some of your accuracy work: 5 rounds, 3 times (15 rounds), 50' or 25 yards, using official NRA B-2 or B-16 targets, respectively. Official targets are scaled accordingly, and you can keep track of your score and progress this way. Make every shot count. You're under absolutely no time constraints here, so take your time. You can even abort the shot if need be (hint: aborting a shot is a very difficult thing to do). Just lower the gun, clear your head, visualize a good shot and start over. Your mental focus is the process of making a good shot (trigger control, sight alignment), and not the goal of a good score. Always keep this in mind - the target itself is unimportant. It's merely a recording device that records how well you applied the fundamentals, so focus on applying the fundamentals well for each shot, and the target will take care of itself.

2. Index & transition (24 rounds): If you have a holster, draw and get a shot on target 1, transition to target 2. Steel would be best for this. If you don't have a holster, start at the "ready". Once you start getting good at this, add some movement - begin retreating or moving to the side as you draw. Eventually, add more targets. Another twist would be to eventually incorporate reloads. Shoot 1, reload, shoot the 2nd. Or shoot 1 & 2, then quickly reload for your next string. If the reloads (or movement) are affecting your ability to get good hits, though, hold off, and keep practicing without them.

3. "Show up and shoot" (11 rounds). This is an important skill to develop - seeing what you need to see and getting a good shot off as soon as you arrive at a new position. Start behind a barricade such that the target's not visible. Move to the end of the barricade, and as soon as you see your target, get your shot off. This is a deceptively difficult skill to learn and self-honesty is important. Matter of fact, it's a great drill to run without even using ammo - as soon as you see the target, for instance, STOP!! - don't take the shot. Just freeze in position and ask yourself "Where's my gun?" Still at the ready? Your not ready to shoot, are you? Held high, but not even close to being pointed at the target? Better, but still not ready to shoot. If you were to pull the trigger as soon as you see the target, where would the bullet go? If not into the target, you didn't show up ready to shoot. Keep the gun & sights in your line of sight, and use your upper body as a tank turret.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the value of dry fire. It'll turbo charge your time spent at the range. All these drills can be practiced at home via dry fire. Many rimfires ought not be actually dryfired (though some can), so your dry fire drills are more about gun handling, and more importantly, seeing what you need to see. Dry fire is highly underrated as a visual exercise, but effective dry fire is as much about developing visual skills as it is about gun handling and trigger control. Drill #3, for instance, would be an excellent dry fire drill to practice at home. You've got all kinds of barricades to work with (e.g. walls & door openings).

Good shooting!
MrB

Page generated in 0.02156 seconds with 8 queries