View Single Post
Old September 18, 2012, 07:09 PM   #1
Rustle in the Bushes

Explain why a sporter/precision hybrid rifle is a bad idea

as someone who wants to

a) do moderately serious informal target practice to improve as a shooter. Mostly at 100 yards but eventually the odd trip out to crown land for some long range work. 200-300 yards.

b) hunt

the idea of owning only one centerfire rifle and scope is appealing. Since Im not competing I'm not sure if I need a 12lb bull barrel rifle. but I would still like to be able to shoot targets the size of a deer's vitals out to longer ranges eventually. I understand heat stringing with a thin bbl will show its face here during my practice sessions but is it THAT big a factor? can I just keep shooting and compensate for the stringing or does it just go all over the place?

Rifles Im considering are sako's 85, rem 700.(left hand rifles) these are 7.5lb guns and I should be able to load down my calibre 30-06 or .308(I reload) to accomodate for longer practice sessions with recoil. For hunting Im thinking of picking up a macmillan stock which would drop the weight down about a LB, making the rifles easier to carry.

thanks for reading! how much of this is a bad idea?

Last edited by Rustle in the Bushes; September 18, 2012 at 07:18 PM.

Page generated in 0.02301 seconds with 8 queries