View Single Post
Old September 4, 2002, 08:30 AM   #9
David Scott

All this fancy-dance security in the airports is just so the Gubmint can shoiw that they did something. It doesn't matter that they are closing one barn door out of a thousand, after the horse has gone. Next time it won't be a horse, it'll be a goat or a mink or a chicken, and another barn. It doesn't matter that they're subjecting thousands of innocent citizens to measures that a person of ill intent cound get around with a little practical thought. The Gubmint's response to the 9/11 attacks has two objectives:

1. To justify increased exercise of Gubmint power. The people who run the Gubmint are elitists; they truly believe that they are superior to Joe and Jane Average, and that it is their repsonsibility to run our lives for us, because we simple common folk wil just hurt ourselves if we're not nannied by the elite.

2. To ensure re-election of the current administration. It's well known that voters hate to change leadership in times of war. It's also obvious that "War on Terrorism" news diverts voters from considering how poorly other issues are being managed. Just as George Senior had the Gulf War to divert people from the savings & loan scandals, Dubya has Bin Laden to keep our minds off rampant corporate fraud and massive unemployment.
"As I looked at my two young sons, each with his gun, and considered how much the safety of the party depended on these little fellows, I felt grateful to you, dear husband, for having acquainted them in childhood with the use of firearms."

-- Elisabeth Robinson, in The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann Wyss

Page generated in 0.03891 seconds with 8 queries