View Single Post
Old January 11, 2013, 09:23 AM   #1
hounddawg

lead vs jacketed HP vs plated in 9MM

tried shooting off a rest yesterday for the first time with my M&P full size 9mm. I was pretty disappointed in the results. I was using hard cast 124 gr bullets with the results. Did a full ladder of W231 in .1 grain increments and was getting 4 to 6 inch groups at 15 yards. Bullets were seated to the chamber at 1.07, taper crimped to .375

I have never really shot a pistol for accuracy before so I was wondering which to try changing, bullet type or powder? There is also a chance it could have been the indian not the arrow becasue I actually did better shooting 2 hand no rest than I did off the rest although that shooting was using the last of my MBC lead bullet instead of the Penns. Not blaming the Penn bullets here just pointing out that I did make a small change there, same weight shape bullet etc

I know a lot of the serious competitors use Montana gold plated bullets and some people like the Berrys plated. I also have access to Nosler FMJ's for about the same price as plated using a group buy but would not recieve them for a couple of months

I am also wondering how much difference the powder makes, I was thinking of trying some Unique, Bullseye, and even VV N330 when/if I can find some. I have 1000 of these hard casts and 4 or 5 lbs of W231 that I would like to shoot up before any major purchases. But if I could find a powder that works with the hard casts or a bullet that works with the W231 it would be great.

If this was rifle I would know where to start but pistol accuracy is all new to me. Any suggestions from the loaders here who shoot pistols for groups before I spend a lot of money on powders and bullets and still end up going with high dollar barrel replacement would be appreciated. Thanks in advance and sorry for the rambling post but I am really in the woods here trying to figure out where to start with this.

I was unsure whether to post this in reloading or auto pistols so mods move if you feel it is the wrong forum.

Last edited by hounddawg; January 11, 2013 at 09:36 AM.

Page generated in 0.02254 seconds with 8 queries