View Single Post
Old January 12, 2013, 02:49 PM   #1
barnbwt

Evans Repeating Rifle: Antebellum "Hi-cap Bullpup"

Anyone ever hear of the Evans Repeating Rifle, or better yet, actually own one, or even better yet, actually shoot one?

It seems like a design well ahead of its time; a hi-cap blackpowder levergun (I say hi-cap because it carried up to 34 rounds in a helical buttstock magazine, to the Spencer's 7). I say "bullpup" in jest, since it does load from a rear magazine in the buttstock. Also has a "clamshell" reciever like the F2000 and PS90. Does anybody know if reproductions are made? I see they are on Gunbroker (in a larger quantity that I would have figured) for over a grand, but in the proprietary .44 cartridge (of course). If a modern version in a modern smokeless cartridge exists, it would certaintly be a head-turner at the range, and very functional in the field.

I like the upper/lower buttstock halves-very cool look. The foregrip (dissipator) also looks much more comfortable than a bare barrel. I found a photo online of the internals; it looks like there's only a half-dozen or so parts to the gun, very simple, and somewhat similar to the Spencer.

TCB

Page generated in 0.02467 seconds with 8 queries